These days can feel stressful — and even scary — for everyone. As nonprofit leaders we know you’re out there on the frontlines, caring for our communities, staying on-mission and mobilizing supporters — all in the midst of the coronavirus crisis.
We want you to know that we’ve developed a menu of high-impact solutions with you in mind. With creativity and countless tools, we can help you and your community stay safe — all while maximizing the great work you’re doing.
You’ve got questions. We’ve got options.
Some organizations are cancelling their live event, but still running their auction online. Others are postponing their live event, but wondering, “How can we raise funds now?” If you’re in one of these situations, here are some tips for fundraising during this time.
We’re Bringing You Two “Coronavirus Cancellation” Event Options.
Here are two options you may wish to consider! Further details for each option are below. (Please note: if you’re getting this email, chances are that you already understand how our technology works. But if you have questions, click here to learn more!)
- The “Non Event” Event
This means people buy a ticket to not attend your event.
- The “Online Auction” Event
This refers to a mobile auction.
The “Non Event” Event
The “Non-Event” Event Comes Down to a Simple, Two-Step Process:
First, create your theme and marketing around people purchasing a ticket to not attend your event, out of care and consideration for the community (our suggested range for tickets is $25- $50). This can be a compelling way to empower supporters with an opportunity to accomplish “double the good” with their gift — still giving, but staying home to protect others. When supporters get a ticket, they receive a link for the silent auction.
Hosting An Online Auction
Here are a few helpful steps to get you started:
Ask: What areas are we going to focus on? (Online Auction, Raffle, Donations, etc..),
Then: PROMOTE, PROMOTE, PROMOTE!!!
Create your messaging strategy during the auction within our system. Be sure to create a marketing strategy with other channels including Facebook, Instagram, Email, etc. And lastly, don’t forget to run a checklist before you launch!
Here are a few recommendations:
- Duration: 5 -7 Days | You have to create urgency and not give them too much time.
- Send customized text and/or emails. | This is a great way to stay in communication and push your message through. (Be sure to ramp up messaging as you get closer to the end)
- One incredibly important tip is to stay in close communication. | Help your supporters feel included and appreciated for their participation!
- Embed a video message. | Even if it’s a simple message created on your smartphone, this can have a huge impact. Direct to your landing page or send a link to a video in a text or email.
Live Auction Items
Our first recommendation is to wait until a live event if you’re able. If that’s not an option, you can always do the following:
- Turn a live item to a silent auction item
- Turn a live item to a raffle item
Raffles allow everyone to participate in purchasing a ticket to buy a higher dollar item rather than be excluded due to the higher bids. Raffles are a very successful online tool and a great way to increase the revenue of a particular item.
A few quick tips:
- Try not to offer too many items as raffle items.
- Set a minimum raffle ticket purchase. (You won’t pull these items until a certain amount are sold.) This will help you get at least a certain amount of funding for each item.
Fund A Need
Of course this is going to look different online, but it’s still possible. There are many ways you can utilize our tools in raising funds.
Here are a few helpful options:
This is a fantastic and easy tool for your supporters to place donations at any time! All they need to do is text your KEYWORD to 56651 and it will walk them through placing any donation via text.
- Traditional Donation
Supporters can give an unrestricted gift, or designate one for a specific cause. Giving your donors options is always a win-win. We all know that donors have many reasons for giving, and it can be helpful to have a menu of options available to them.
And Finally, Congratulations — You’ve Completed Your Event!
Here are just a few helpful drafts of messages you can send out to supporters. Be sure to include a relevant link (to your campaign, event, silent auction, etc)!
- Having FOMO from shopping? Well look no further, come check out our awesome silent auction items to cure your boredom while giving back.
- Let us pair you up with some lonely silent auction items! Tap your link to go to menu of no bid items — SHAZAM you’re there!
- Check out the items without bids for a DISCOUNT! Don’t miss out on these deals!
- Make sure to snag your raffle tickets before they are all gone!
- The silent auction WILL BE CLOSING (enter designated time here) — make sure you get those final bids in!
- Psst – we’ve just added more items! Tap the link and check them out! It’s all for (your organization)!
- Thank you for all your support. The silent auction has now ended! Tap the link to see if you’ve won!
- To check yourself out please tap the red PAY! Button and follow the prompts. You can pay by Apple Pay, Paypal, or Venmo!
With the spread of coronavirus, many nonprofits find themselves navigating uncharted waters when it comes to funding. Honestly, it can often feel like a challenge to keep moving ahead…
That’s why we want you to know that we are here for you.
We’ve got solutions for your problems. Please, always feel free to reach out with ideas, adjustments, or any help you might need at any time. For more assistance, please contact your Event Manager to set up a strategy call. In the meantime, stay safe, stay healthy — and as always, thank you for being part of the Donaide family!
The Donaide family